What is a public property on the chain and how it works?

Dear Unikname Team,

I can see on my account that I can register a “public property” on the chain at the cost of 1 UNS.
I’m not confortable with the concept and the use of it. Can you please explain ?

Regards,

HabileBill

Hi HabileBill,

As implied by the name, a public property is just that. It is linked to your @unikname and published unobfuscated on the blockchain for everyone to see.

There can be different use cases for such properties, depending on the type of @unikname we are talking about. Organizations that use the Unikname Connect solution for instance, use this to register the url users will connect to as well as the proof that this url has been verified.

If you want to check this for out for yourself, you can use the CLI:

uns properties:list @2:unikname

This command will show you the public properties that have been registered for a given @unikname. Here the 2 indicates that you are looking for a @unikname of type organization.

This information is also available in the explorer for users and organizations alike.

For individual @uniknames, the applications are up to the users. One example could be to use your @unikname as an easy way to regroup your different cryptoaccounts/wallet addresses in a searchable place. In this case you would

1. Add your ARK, Ethereum, Bitcoin or whatever else wallet as a property of your @unikname.
  2. Send people that want to send you crypto to the resolver with your @unikname.
  3. Profit !

That way people just choose the one they want to use and can double check that they wrote it correctly.

User-generated properties are pre-fixed with usr/ to differentiate them from others. You have other types of prefixes such as Verified/ for the url, or Badge/.

If you are looking for an easy way to search user-generated properties, you can try our resolver. Try it with our good old @bob.

If you (or anyone else reading this) have any other application in mind, the community would welcome them. We could imagine that delegates could advertise something on there for instance. The world is your oyster.

Of course, if you are after privacy and anonymity, this kind of feature will not be the most interesting to you.

Does this answer your question ? If you are still uncomfortable with the subject, don’t hesitate to follow up !

Best,
Sophie

Some users adds properties to publish GPG public keys or even mail/website.
You can check this post on the same topic:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.